languages (Ebonics)

From: allisonp_at_world.std.com <(allisonp_at_world.std.com)>
Date: Fri Mar 10 07:21:24 2000

> > > BEV follows strict rules of grammar and word use, and has syntactic
> > > roots in several major west African languages like Ewe, Iwo,
> > > and Yoruba. It really is not gibberish at all, no matter how

I lived in the Pocanos. They be in Pennsilvania parts. There they speak
a mix of German, Dutch and English that give the Amish and also the old
locals a interesting dialect. Never could master it, that lack of mastery
would peg me as outsider even though I was also a local. It goes far
deeper than accent.

The other side of that was better english in some of the locals minds made
me "better educated" even though some had more paper than I.

Allison