Looking for an old journal article

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 08:03:44 2000

--- Doug Coward <mranalog_at_home.com> wrote:
> FOR THE TRULY AMBITIOUS COLLECTORS:
> "Items available for disposal" page:
> http://www.chew46.freeserve.co.uk/aeroswap.html
>..."GAF Ikara anti-submarine missile:

I've heard of these. It's the source of the name J.M.S. used in the B5
episode "Infection" (http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/004.html). From
the Lurker's Guide:

    Ikarra may be an Australian Aboriginal word.
    The Australian DSTO (Defence Sciences and Technology Organisation)
    developed the anti-submarine weapon "Ikara" in the 1950's. It is no
    longer in use in the Australian Navy, having been fired for the last
    time in 1990. The Brazilian Navy may still use a variation of it.

    Since the DSTO has a tradition of naming its products after warlike
    Aboriginal animals, it's plausible that the word refers to an animal.

Not only "missile guidance computers", but pre-integrated-circuit missile
guidance computers, depending on the exact vintage of what's in the Bristol
Aero Collection.

> The page also states "The Bristol Aero Collection conforms to
> the rules of the UK Museum's Council and can dispose of historic
> items only to "Good Homes" such as Museums operating under comparable
> rules."

I'd better get back to work on my incorporation papers.

> In a separate search, I found this description of a Ikara:
> Australian ship-launched anti-submarine missile with a
> 12.5 nm range that employs a two-stage solid fuel motor
> and navigates via command guidance and an autopilot.
> The Aerospace Technologies of Australia, Pty., Ltd.-built
> Ikara is 11 ft long with a wingspan of 5 ft and weighs 980
> lbs at takeoff.

I wonder how much of that is fuel and payload? 60%? 80%? How does
U.S. Airways feel about a missile in checked baggage? :-)

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.