Dayton Computerfest finds

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Mar 12 20:41:42 2000

At the Hara Arena in Dayton, there are three events per year that relate to
this list: the Hamfest in May and the Computerfest in March and August. I
only went Sunday this year as opposed to my traditional Saturday. Since I
didn't go for modern PC parts, I found the selection to be sparser than ever.

Scattered throughout the back rooms there were the piles of $3 to $5 boards
of various vintages. I did manage to get a pair of DEC-Tulip-chipset 10/100
cards for $3 each and a wad of Microchannel boards (Ethernet and SCSI) for
someone else in a $15 "all you can stuff bag".

Besides a few cards, the only interesting thing I picked up was an Apple
QuickTake 150 digital camera with external battery pack and PSU for $35.
One drawback: it came with a PC cable (DIN-8 to DE-9) and I only have the
Mac software. The Mac cable is typically grey with an icon molded into
both ends of a pair of arrows pointing opposite directions and a stretched
"S" line between them indicating that it's a crossover cable. I do have the
pinouts for the camera, but if I were to make a cable, I'm not sure what all
the matchups are for RS-422. The Apple Technote pages show how to make a PC
cable, but that's the one I already have.

So... does anyone out there have a Mac "null-modem" cable they'd like to get
rid of? Alternately, does anyone have the PC software? It's for Win3.1, but
at least I'd be able to dump the camera.

Thanks,

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.