HP 3000/37

From: Frank McConnell <fmc_at_reanimators.org>
Date: Wed Mar 15 10:31:03 2000

Steve Robertson <steverob_at_hotoffice.com> wrote:
> Still having trouble configuring the system with a line printer. Not sure if
> the problem is with the printer, the configuration, or me (naw couldn't be).
> When I connect my HPIB printer, the system has trouble finding other devices
> on that chain. That printer was working with my /42 but, it was on a port
> all by itsself. The /37 doesn't have as many I/O ports as the /42 so, my
> options are considerably more limited.

Mixing high- and low-speed devices on the same HP-IB channel is not
recommended.

And adding I/O to the /37 is hard -- there are five slots, and between
CPU, memory, ATP/M (serial I/O), and GIC (HP-IB) you're already using
at least four. The fifth slot is often occupied by more memory or
something else (e.g. an INP or LANIC). I think there's a way to add a
second card cage to a /37 but I'm not sure I've ever seen that done.

So if you really want a printer, you might want to think about a
serial printer plugged into one of the ATP ports. I used to run a
2563A that way in the mid-1980s; 9600 bps did OK at keeping up with
a 300 LPM printer that was used to print COBOL listings.

> Anyway, I finally have a "Classic 3000" that doesn't double as a space
> heater. Both me and my air-conditioner are happy. Many thanks to Joe for
> turning me on to this *great* find.

I'm glad someone got it. Joe told me about it too but I couldn't see
shipping it all the way to California -- already got two /37s and
don't have anywhere to put a 7937-sized disc right now.

-Frank McConnell