Mutant01 IP = 205.138.39.180

From: Technoid_at_cheta.net <(Technoid_at_cheta.net)>
Date: Wed Mar 15 20:23:52 2000

>Anyway last time I put a non-TCP/IP-aware PDP-11 compatible system on the
>net I just used a Linux box with a version of telnetd hacked to use serial
>ports instead of PTYs, it's cheating but it was very fast and at least it
>spoke "modern" TCP/IP.

That is how I have been browsing the web from the Dasher 214 terminal
upstairs is by Telneting into my warp or linux boxand running Lynx from
there. There is also a cool Sun box on the internet you can telnet to and
have a full shell account. That is useful as hell and eliminates the
linux or warp 'lynx proxy' job from my intranet. You can even run stuff
like slurp and they don't mind as long as you don't leave such processes
running while you are not logged on. It just Feels a little closer to
running the client locally ;-)

As for 'modern' tcp/ip, I am running into troubles with DNS and Sendmail.
I can Ping a hostname on my intranet via :etc:hosts but Nslookup says
'host unknown'. Someone said it had to do with the IQUERY setting in DNS.
Do I really have to run my own DNS for sendmail and such to work when the
Data General can already ping, telnet, and ftp by hostname through the
router? BTW, the version of Sendmail I am working with is the one
provided in Data General TCP/IP v1.40 and it's version is v1.00. Yea. I
am looking for a C compiler and libraries....

Are you guys just cracking on me by keeping my former IP address as the
topic of this thread or what? I do intend to create a link but have not
gotten around to it. As it is, that address has a lot of press on this
system even if it isn't valid anymore.<grin>

Jeffrey S. Worley
Technical Services
Bits & Bytes Computer Services Inc.
1979B Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803
828-684-8953 - voice 0900-1700 five days
828-687-9284 - 24hr fax
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Technoid_at_Cheta.net