HP 3000/37

From: Frank McConnell <fmc_at_reanimators.org>
Date: Thu Mar 16 01:23:16 2000

Steve Robertson <steverob_at_hotoffice.com> wrote:
> I hooked up a serial thinkjet to one of the ports but didn't get the
> configuration just right. Originally, I tried to configure the serial port
> as an "LP" device but, the system balked. It said that I couldn't mix device
> types on the same ATP controller. In other words: If I have a TERM attached,
> I couldn't have a LP attached at the same time.

Right. Device classes have access types, and you can't put device
classes with different access types on the same device.

> So, I set up the printer up as a terminal (don't recall type and sub-type)
> and it sorta worked. I think some of the control sequences are not quite
> right. I'll have to tinker with it until I get the right combo. Is it
> possible to set it up this way and still have the print jobs spooled?

Yes. You want to set the logical device up like something like this:

  TYPE? 32
  SUBTYPE? 14 for direct connect, 15 for modem connect
  ENTER [TERM TYPE#], [DESCRIPTOR FILENAME]? 18 or maybe 20, not sure
  SPEED IN CHARACTERS PER SECOND? depends, use bps/10
  RECORD WIDTH? (chars per line)/2
  OUTPUT DEVICE? 0
  ACCEPT JOB/SESSION? no
  ACCEPT DATA? no
  INTERACTIVE? no
  DUPLICATIVE? no
  INITIALLY SPOOLED? can be yes, can be no
  INPUT OR OUTPUT? out
  DRIVER NAME? HIOASLP0
  DEVICE CLASSES? probably LP

Regarding "initially spooled": if you say yes, I'd set a high OUTFENCE
(probably OUTFENCE 13) in SYSSTART.PUB.SYS so that the spooler won't
try to start printing spooled output right away on boot (which might
lose output if the printer is switched off or disconnected). The
alternative is to make the device not initially spooled and start
spooling manually with a STARTSPOOL command. I think I like initially
spooled with high outfence better.

-Frank McConnell