Research Machines Link 480Z

From: Paul Williams <flo_at_rdel.co.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 17 02:18:18 2000

Tony Duell wrote:

> You're in luck!. I have the 'Information File' for the 480Z (and a
> similar manual for the 380Z) alongside me. This is essentially a
> technical reference manual and includes schematics, etc...
>
> Anyway, as to the pinouts of the 480Z...
>
> Firstly what all the connectors are, from the left :

Fantastic! Thanks, Tony. My first priority is to hook it up to a monitor
because 80-column mode on a TV isn't very pleasant.

I've had the top off and photographed the innards. The next job will
probably be to upload the EPROMs that contain the ROS (Resident
Operating System?) and BASIC so I can disassemble them. I've already
dumped the keywords for BASIC.

I've not worked out what all the commands in the Front Panel program are
yet, but I can see that it uses some bank-switching mechanism for the
ROMS. That wasn't entirely unexpected, because I've often wondered how
CP/M can put programs in low memory where you'd need a ROM because the
Z80 starts execution at location 0. (This isn't a CP/M machine, but it
is one generation on from the 380Z, which I also used at school).

My machine doesn't have the IEEE-488 or network connectors, although it
does have the network DIP switches.