Assistance, etc.

From: David C. Jenner <djenner_at_halcyon.com>
Date: Sat Mar 18 11:12:53 2000

Bruce,

Try ShareTheNet (http://www.sharethenet.com).

It's Linux based and does just about everything
you want to do out of the box. (Except handle
multiple static IPs, which I recall you are using.
You could use one or more ShareTheNet routers, or
just leave your Web, FTP, Mail server(s) out naked
rather than behind the ShareTheNet firewall.)
It's shareware, so you can try it (for 30 minutes
at a time) to see if it suits you.

I've run ShareTheNet for over 1.5 years now on
my DSL line without any problems. I run it on
an old 386 with 8MB RAM, two NICs, a floppy, and
no hard drive, keyboard, or monitor. (Your BIOS
may require a video adapter; I just put in an
old MGA card that was gathering dust.) My system
is in a really small chassis (from RE-PC) and just
sits on the shelf under my Cisco 675.

About the only things I haven't been able to do,
and it's probably because I'm often behind a
firewall at the outside end, is PPTP in to a machine
on my network or use VNC in to a machine on my
network.

And it IS classic computing--the 386 is over 10
years old!

Dave