iOpener

From: John Wilson <wilson_at_dbit.dbit.com>
Date: Mon Mar 20 13:08:43 2000

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 09:13:56AM -0800, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> There's great hack running around where you take a regular 44-pin cable
> that's long enough and attach a second connector immediately adjacent to
> the connector on one end. You use the inner pins of the end connector
> and the outer pins on the new connector to attach to the motherboard.
>
> -------------------
> || ||||
> ^^ (use these "pins")
> drive end motherboard end

Cute! Well that sure beats slicing the cable up into 22 pairs and trying to
get them stay down in the "twisted" position while you put on a connector.

> --------------------
>
> Wouldn't that simulate having a connector on the wrong side and reverse
> the effect of the motherboard wiring?

Unfortunately not, IDC connectors don't work that way. You'll just tap the
same wires in different places, it's as if you took a regular cable and just
folded one end over, nothing has changed. I remember confusing the hell out
of myself with this the first time I tried to get a DZ11A cab kit working...

> AFAIK, there is no ready source of 12V. Also, consider the power draw. A
> laptop drive pulls 500-700mA (2,5-3.5W), a desktop drive draws closer to
> 9W-15W. It's even a consideration when choosing a different
> CPU (ISTR the WinChip180 is rated at ~9W, most Pentia suck around 13-17W).

Yeah actually I was wondering if the laptop drive is already pushing things.
The power supply is really tiny (integrated on the main board) and it's