Research Machines Link 480Z

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 21 18:18:16 2000

Hi Tony,

>>>....TEXED (Text Editor, which had TECO-like commands....

>> Ah yes, "TEXED" I really liked that one....

> I remember writing macros to delete unnecessary spaces and
>REM statements from my (over-long) BASIC program....

Yep, it was one of the nicest text editors I've ever used. I'd never spotted
the similarity to TECO until you mentioned it....I've only ever run TECO
some four or five times, but it felt familiar IYKWIM?

> MDOC came as standard with Research Machines CP/M... It was
>rather useful, especially for repairing disks with read errors
>on them....

Rings a bell, but I can't say I remember the program.

> We had a mix of the 2 types. The 'horizontal drive' unit had a
>pair of SA400s (IIRC), full height 5.25" drives. The 'vertical
>drive' machines had a pair of 2/3rds height Canon drives....

Would I be right in assuming that the machines with SA400s had double sided
drives and the ones with Canon drives were single sided?

Our "horizontal" machines were all double sided (the top drive was "A:" &
"C:" and the bottom was "B:" & "D:") and I'm sure I remember reading that
machines with single sided drives were available too.

>....The one I found at the rally was the latter type....

I wonder if that's the same machine I spotted? The chap who had it for sale
ended up taking it home with him at the end of the day, I'm sure he was
someone who used to do the rounds of the rallies.

> There were also 'Full Disk' systems (as opposed to 'Mini Disk
>Systems') that had an external box with 2 8" drives in them....

Never seen one of those, though I vageuly recall reading something about
them in one of the manuals.

> I've never actually seen an 8" RML380Z, though. It would be fun
>to get one...

I'll be keeping my eyes open for a 380Z of any description this rally
season....hmm, wonder when Drayton is?

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)