Are you sure the 6550 is dead? (was: Mos Technology RAM wanted)

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 22:04:51 2000

<Yes! I just repacked my lidless 4116 chips. I only ever got as far as
<cementing slide-mount covers on one and sticking it in an Apple II at the
<top of RAM and demonstrating the effect by clearing video RAM then lifting
<the lid. Many bits sparkled in when light shone on the chip.

Many years ago far away... A bunch of us took the lid off a NEC 4116 and
focused an image on to one segment of the matrix and then used a apple
as a raster box to play the bits to a matix on the screen. lousy res
being 128x128ish and no gray scale but high contrast images under infared
light really were discernable. Oh, refresh rate (read rate) was basically
the "shutter speed" so really slow scans were quite sensitive.

Allison