Resetting C= machines with non-standard implements (was Re: Are you sure the 6550 is dead?)

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Wed Mar 22 16:16:05 2000

Hi,

>> I used to reset my development C-64 with a paperclip that I
>>bent into a hair-pin shape.... ....fit the proper pins on the
>>expansion connector....
>
> I've seen people burn out 64's that way too :-P

Quite, I've got to say this is an EXTREMELY BAD way of resetting a C64 in my
experience.

At one software company I worked at in 1986 we made up reset switches for
our C64s to save wear and tear on them - we were using the machines in
pairs; one to assemble/edit code, the other to test the code (which needed
frequent resetting). Some of these had the switch attached to the user port,
the rest had it connected to the reset line on the serial port (we built
little push switches into DIN plugs and just plugged them in).

Within three months of these switches being fitted ALL of the machines with
reset switches failed (with dead processors).

Obvious why really....you don't EVER connect something which is capable of
generating voltage spikes to a TTL line - this includes tweezers and paper
clips....

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)