PDP-11/23 deskside machine

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Thu Mar 23 22:29:11 2000

>It is arrayed in several rows of 64kbit 16pin dips on the ram card and is
>definitely 512kbyte and is parity ram.

OK, generally that would be listed as 256KW, so wasn't sure which it was.

>Doesn't sound like a huge amount of ram to me as my Data General Mini has
>8mb onboard. Now that is a BIG ram card!

I had 4MB in my main one, which is where a PDP-11 maxes out, however, I
downgraded to 2MB, as I didn't need that much and wanted to keep the other
2MB board as a spare. I'd have even less in the system, but I run a couple
other OS's on it that can make better use of RAM (but even for them 2MB is
an outrageous amount of RAM for a single user system).

>Does RT11 have:
>
>Virtual Memory?
>Networking?
>How do I run it? I can do dirs and type files etc but I really need some
>docs on the operating system to get anywhere with it. Thanks for the
>reply! --

Try typing 'help'.

No need for virtual memory that I'm aware of, and as far as I know it doesn't.

Do you have an ethernet card for it? If so you can get TCP/IP for it for
free (the only PDP-11 OS with free TCP/IP).

                        Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh_at_aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |