PDP-11/23 deskside machine

From: Megan <mbg_at_world.std.com>
Date: Thu Mar 23 23:39:44 2000

>Doesn't sound like a huge amount of ram to me as my Data General Mini has
>8mb onboard. Now that is a BIG ram card!

Remember that the max physical memory on Qbus is 4mb...

>Does RT11 have:
>
>Virtual Memory?

Depends on which monitor you are running... the SJ(SB) and FB
monitors only use 28kw (56kb)... that is all there is for the
OS and user programs. Any additional memory *can* be used as
a fast disk volume. Programs should not touch the memory
mapping registers, though they can (RT allows one to shoot
one's self in the foot)

The XM monitor takes over the memory management of the machine
and provides system services to allow programs access to all
the rest of memory -- but programs have to be written specially
to make use of it, otherwise they exist in a 32kw virtual
address space.

>Networking?

Not integral... there was DECnet/RT, but that was only Phase III,
and no Ethernet. It was because of this that I wrote a piece of
networking software for RT machines specifically (check my web
page). There is a package from DECUS which provides a TCP/IP
stack... You can find it through www.trailing-edge.com (or is
it metalab.unc.edu that has it). Anyway, I think it is decus
package 110939 (but I might be wrong).

>How do I run it? I can do dirs and type files etc but I really need some
>docs on the operating system to get anywhere with it. Thanks for the
>reply! --

Try HELP... it will give you the commands available.

Unlike MS/DOS and Windows, which don't come with any program development
tools, RT is an execution environment *and* a development environment...
the tools you need to write your own programs come with the distribution
-- an assembler (MACRO), a linker (LINK), a module librarian (LIBR) and
several debuggers (ODT, VDT, DBG).

                                        Megan Gentry
                                        Former RT-11 Developer

| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '_at_' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |