iOpener

From: John Wilson <wilson_at_dbit.dbit.com>
Date: Fri Mar 24 19:35:06 2000

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 07:32:32PM -0500, Allison J Parent wrote:
> Removing(not putting it in really) the connector is about all they could
> do with a production stream like that otherwise the cost to manufacture
> and all goes out the window. To me that does not constitute hacker
> proofing as putting one in is trivial and I might get to put in in the
> right side of the board even.

Totally. I doubt they'll evey remove the connector though. At least in low
qtys it's not cheap (almost $5 from Digikey) so they aren't just putting it
there by accident, I think it's how they load the flash drive in the first
place. And they're always going to need a way to do that, and a socket for
the amazingly tiny SMT flash ROM itself would be pretty expensive...

John Wilson
D Bit