Research Machines Link 480Z

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 26 16:48:20 2000

Hi Tony,

>> I do recall though that at one point we had a pair of cassette
>>recorders running on the machine....
>
> Do you have any memories of the 'dual cassette controller'....

Hmmm, I'm racking my brains but I don't recall any external unit. For some
reason I seem to recall both cassette recorders attaching to seperate DIN
sockets on the back of the machine...?

But then again my memory of this is very hazy....it was 1979....

>> All the CP/M based machines were 32K machines....apart from one
>>which had been mistakenly shipped with 64K. :-)
>
> Hmmm... Unlikely...
>
> The 380Z used 4116 16K DRAMs....
> Are you saying that RML shipped machines with extra boards in
>them???

Yep, that's exactly what happened....we obviously got a machine which was
intended for someone else....

> Oh yes... The 380Z had no backplane. You slotted the boards into
>card guides that were fixed to the bottom of the case. And then ran
>a 50 wire ribbon cable that carried all signals....

Yes, we had the top off ours numerous times.

I remember reading an article on the machine where they went into quite a
bit of detail on the bus....including how to build your own boards.

I *THINK* I recall them remarking how similar the bus was to the SS-50 bus,
BICBW.

> I have one -- somewhere...

Believe me, I know the problem....

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)