PDP11/23 More dumb questions

From: Olminkhof <jolminkh_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon Mar 27 08:23:00 2000

Thanks all for the advice on the BA23 110/230v power switching.
I've done that now and powered it up. I have a VT220 terminal that is
functional as far as I know and connected to a random serial connector on
the PDP, one of 6.

Unfortunately I know nothing at all about PDP's or VT's.

Anyway, I start the VT220 before the PDP and it gives a message VT220 Ready.
I power up the PDP and basically get nothing at all. The only sequence that
gets any response is hitting the halt button. The terminal then says:
165262
_at_
When I hit the Restart button after that nothing happens for about 2
minutes.
Then an "&" prompt appears.
Nothing I type in gets any response after that. Typing "help" gets no
response.

The machine is in a BA23 case and was a PDP11/23 I think, but has a PDP11/73
CPU upgrade. There is a full height ST506 hard drive reputed to be 30Mb in
size, which spins and makes all the right noises.

It was last operational about 5 years ago and was part of a Cybermation
laser cutting system. I have no idea what OS would have been installed. I
have no docs or media.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hans