Altos

From: Innfogra_at_aol.com <(Innfogra_at_aol.com)>
Date: Mon Mar 27 20:45:10 2000

In a message dated 3/27/2000 12:35:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
at258_at_osfn.org writes:

> I checked out our Altos, and the old one is a 580-10A, #43948. Apparently
> they made a lot of these little devils.

I believe the 580 is a Z-80 machine, not an intel 8080 processor. Another PN
used for the Z-80 is the MK3880P-xx where xx=speed & P=plastic case.

The '-10' indicates a 10 Meg HD. They could come with several different
brands of drives. CPM or MPM was usually the operating system. there is a
separate supervisor terminal port to administer the system. I think there
were three user ports and two serial ports, one for a modem and one for a
printer.

I had about 10 of these at one time. Sold the last during my warehouse sales.
I have had several up and running. They are easy. Plug a terminal into
console. Wyse 100 or 50 terminal emulation. usually 9600/8/N (Hmm I can't
remember the stop bits) Put a current limiter on the power line when you
power it up for the first time. Make sure it is warm (room temp) and not cold
from storage.

Paxton