SUNOS 5.4 Root Password

From: Technoid_at_cheta.net <(Technoid_at_cheta.net)>
Date: Tue Mar 28 00:34:55 2000

You mentioned PROM diags.

The prom recognizes only:

b sd(0,18,0) -- which is to boot the machine from the only hard drive
which is on controller 0 at id 3!!! What the hell. I understand it needs
to be set to three but WHY?! Whats the rule? Why is the second argument
18? How would I represent then:

b sr(x,x,x) if the cdrom was on id6 on the same controller (0) to boot
cdrom?

Other docs I have seen mention an 'OK' prompt. I get a wedge and
sometimes a "watchdog" halt to this prompt or I can get the prompt by
Stop+A. My prompt is more primitive than the OK version I think.
PROBE-SCSI-ALL does not return anything near what is expected. It gives
me a memory dump to screen of a few locations. PRO does the same so I
know it is executing a different command and ignoring or misprocessing
other chars following the real command.

How do I get a floppy on this box? It has a 150mb scsi tape drive as it's
only removable io. I am not hurting at all for scsi drives so if I have
to...

I think you think this machine is running solaris 5.4. It is actually
SUNOS and still asks for the root password for a maintainence prompt. I
don't know enough to say they are not really the same product with
different names though...

THanks a lot for the discussion all. I really appreciate the input.

Jeffrey S. Worley
Technical Services
Bits & Bytes Computer Services Inc.
1979B Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803
828-684-8953 - voice 0900-1700 five days
828-687-9284 - 24hr fax
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Technoid_at_Cheta.net