installing SGI SVR3 from tape

From: r. 'bear' stricklin <red_at_bears.org>
Date: Tue Mar 28 01:51:46 2000

Howdy;

I've got an IRIS 3130 I recently rescued, along with a shocking pile of
tapes. Among these are what appears to be complete OS install tapes for
GL2-3.6 (SGI's UNIX didn't come to be called until the first 4D-series
machines were released) and 3.5r1.

For various reasons I am interested in performing a new system
installation. Booting from tape is (obviously) in order, and a tape
identifying itself as the "boot system" is present.

If I 'boot sq0' the QIC spins briefly and complains that it can't find the
default boot file. Supposedly there is a stand-alone utility called
'sifex' which can be booted from tape to initialize disks and the like,
but if that's on this tape it's not letting on. 'boot sq0:sifex' returns
with an error to the effect that 'sifex' can't be found on the tape.

I'm missing something but I don't know what. Am I trying to boot the wrong
tape, or is something else going on? I suppose it would be worth trying
to read a few of the QIC tapes while the system is up, but if someone
knows in the meanwhile what my problem is likely to be, it'd be helpful.

ok
r.