Classic computing stops in Boston area

From: John Wilson <wilson_at_dbit.dbit.com>
Date: Tue Mar 28 23:29:26 2000

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 06:14:18PM -0600, Paul Thompson wrote:
> I will be in Burlington MA next week on business, with a fair amount of
> off hours time off. I have heard rumors of electronics shop(s) in the
> vicinity of MIT having an interesting selection of old DEC or other
> classic computing hardware. Also isn't one of the computer museums in that
> area?

It *used* to be that Eli Heffron & Sons (now renamed E.L.I. since Eli retired)
had an awesome selection of DEC stuff. And it was a total mess too, so poking
around looking for buried treasure was very satisfying. Last time I checked
it out though, they'd switched over to workstation stuff so it was nowhere
near as much fun. But it might be worth a try anyway, they still advertise
VAXish stuff in the Processor. They're at 139 Hampshire St. in Cambridge,
near Inman Square which unfortunately doesn't have a subway station (plenty of
busses though). It would be kind of a long walk from the Kendall Square red
line stop (or whatever they're calling it now, Cambridge Center or some such
thing? the one between Central and Charles unless they've renamed those too).

John J. Meshna in Lynn used to be a great junk shop too, that was just
general electronics and not computers in particular. No idea if they're
still in business. I used to go there by bicycle from Cambridge when I was
a kid, talk about a long depressing ride, but it was a great shop.

John Wilson
D Bit