PDP11/23 More dumb questions

From: Olminkhof <jolminkh_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed Mar 29 08:17:02 2000

Well . . . after another few more hours of exploration :

The M8059 YA card wasn't that at all. It is actually an M8639 YA.
I need glasses . . and stronger light.

Anyway, Control C doesn't work and I can no longer repeat getting to an _at_
prompt, instead getting a lot of backward ? characters at times.
I'm now using the console port but have lost confidence in the terminal and
serial cable completely. I discovered the baud setting control for the ports
after I blew the dust out of the little window. Set the port to 4800 baud,
the default setting on the VT220. All for no consistent result. Tried 110
baud on both with no result

I switched to a straight though 25 wire serial cable and got absolutely no
communication, . . added a null modem and got a little garbage . . changed
from the default VT200 mode 7 bit controls to some of the others . . . all
to no result.

I think the PDP is booting OK judging by the sounds it makes but there is
nothing on the terminal screen. The terminal seems to do everything OK when
in local mode.

I have another VT220 tucked away. Trying that is all I can think of at this
point. I should see something on the screen even if the hard drive or OS
have a problem shouldn't I?

Is there a PDP11's for Dummies book?

Hans