Possible treasure haul...help?

From: Aaron Christopher Finney <af-list_at_wfi-inc.com>
Date: Fri Mar 31 09:43:15 2000

For anyone in Southern California (specifically Ventura area): I made a
contact with an eBay-only reseller (mostly test equipment) who
occasionally picks up old computer junk. Up until now, he usually scraps
it for gold value, but would rather someone preserve them then have them
melted down. Because of financial circumstances, however, I think the few
dollars per item scrap value would make a big difference to him.

He's in the process of relocating, and has a 16' x 16' x 5' high
(seriously, almost square) pile of junk that hasn't been sorted through.
I've been thinking of offering a couple of weekends of work helping
sort/move stuff in exchange for any old computer stuff I could
glean...anyone in the area (or any area, for that matter) interested in
helping out?

Just from cursory examination, I saw a *large* Pertec 9track drive, a
bunch of 8" drives, and lots of proprietary stuff that looks like it's
from government/military installations. He knows that there are some HP
terminals, more 9track drives, etc. buried in there somewhere.

I haven't pitched the idea to him yet, and wanted to know if anyone was up
for it first. I don't relish the idea of sorting/lifting thousands of
pounds of gear alone, but we do what we must. It could work out well; he
was complaining about his shortage of time/labor, and at the same time
basically saying that all of the computer stuff he has is worth almost
nothing to him...

Cheers,

Aaron