I need some PDP-11 RT11 archiving software

From: John Wilson <wilson_at_dbit.dbit.com>
Date: Fri Mar 31 15:29:19 2000

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 03:31:27PM -0500, CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com wrote:
> The user interface for both Kermit and FTP certainly are similar, and
> that shouldn't be a surprise, since the "big iron" being hooked up to
> other "big iron" in that day was almost always PDP-10 to PDP-10. Both
> the Kermit and FTP command styles are descended from the PDP-10 conventions
> (the TOPS-20 monitor in particular.)

I think I remember some mention in at least the older versions of the Kermit
protocol specs, of what other protocols they were inspired by. I forget
whether FTP was mentioned specifically or whether they credited TCP/IP in
general, but I think one or the other was in there. In any case there'd be
only a general relationship rather than a direct connection, and I may have
imagined the whole thing. It's been a while since I've had my hands on the
doc I'm thinking of, I remember it was a slightly bleary printout from an
IBM TN print train...

John Wilson
D Bit