I need some PDP-11 RT11 archiving software

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Fri Mar 31 16:28:57 2000

On Mar 31, 14:57, John Allain wrote:

> Funny, I've been using Kermit since 1981 and FTP since 1985 and
> I still don't know which egg/chicken came first.
> They seem awfully similar from a user's standpoint.
> Anybody know If FTP is based on Kermit or Vice-Versa?

They're fairly different "inside". For example, kermit assumes an
"unreliable" connection, and does it's own error-checking, while FTP relies
to some extent on a transport layer that already has error-checking. I
suppose they naturally have some similarities on the "outside" because they
serve similar purposes, though. Anyway, kermit predates FTP by a few
years.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science