Digalog computer?? was Re: VME connector name?

From: joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Tue Jun 19 14:38:00 2001

At 07:14 PM 6/18/01 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to everyone that replied. The reason that I asked is because I
> > picked up a Digalog computer that uses those connectors. The computer
> is a
> > rack mount jobs that's about 6 inches tall. It has a bunch of card slots,
> > each with a single VME type connector that the cards plug into. The
> cards
> > are about 4 x 6 inches in size. The whole thing looks a lot like a
>I don't know this machine at all, but I suspect that the rack height is
>actually 5.25" (which is called '3U').

     That makes sense. The VME cards with two connectors are called "6U"
and the larger cards with three connectors like this are called "9U".

>The boards sound like single
>height standard eurocards, which are 100mm high by 160mm deep. Getting
>prototyping boards for this machine is no problem :-)
> > standard bus computer. It has 5 1/4" floppy drive and a tape drive in the
>Unfortunately, the DIN41612 connector was used for many buses, not just
>VME. Several manufacturers made their own custom buses using this
>connector (it has many advantages over the card edge, not least that you
>don't have to have any gold plating on the PCBs themselves). My guess is
>that your machine could be a custom bus, probably based on the 68000 bus

        That sounds likely. I found the company's website and they do make
a lot of industrial instrumentation controllers but I can't find anything
technical about their machines. I also couldn't find a model number or any
identificatiopn on this machine other than the company name. It's in
pretty sad shape but it does have a hard drive in it and I'm hoping that
it's still bootable.


Received on Tue Jun 19 2001 - 14:38:00 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:33:59 BST