Rescue of Four Phase Systems mini-computer from Tampa (long)

From: Sellam Ismail <foo_at_siconic.com>
Date: Thu Mar 1 19:00:12 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Geoff Roberts wrote:

> Looks a bit ratty (sorry, couldn't resist) but I've seen worse looking
> stuff still clean up pretty well.

:)

> Looks like there's a very good chance it's restorable to functioning
> condition.

I'm not betting on it. The humidity really did a number on the boards,
although upon casual inspection it doesn't seem they are too bad off. Just
some slight corrosion. The problem is that many of ICs on the boards are
custom Four Phase chips. Finding replacements for ones that may turn up
bad will be difficult, to say the least.

The other problem is that the backplane seemed to have some corrosion, so
the slots will need clean-up. I'm expecting that after I inspect it more
closely I will find that it is a big mess, but we'll see.

The most important thing is that the machine was preserved. We did also
find a couple tapes laying about that may or may not have the OS on them,
and then may or may not even be readable anymore (I'm guessing towards
not). We also found a couple hard drive platters, one in the drive and
one sitting out. I left the one sitting out, as I figured it was a total
loss.

Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival