Us vs. Museums

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Mon Mar 5 08:28:15 2001

Now, I'm not a tax expert, but I've done my own for a long time, and it's not
very complicated ... If your total (FED + Sate + Local) tax burden, less FICA,
is on the order of 50% then a $100 writeoff is equivalent to a $50 credit, since
what you can deduct from one is normally deductible from the others. That's
quite a bit, if you ask me, particularly when you're allowed to write off the
entire cash basis, less depreciation, that you hve in the thing. If it's a
minicomputer that you bought to run your business, at, say $80,000 and you've
not depreciated the entire amount, then whatever you didn't depreciate out of
its initial value, plus whatever you've invested (but not in maintenance, since
that's separately deductible), is what you can write off now. Sometimes that's
quite a bit, depending on the situation.

Dick