HLL Computers

From: ajp166 <ajp166_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon Mar 5 16:35:06 2001

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>

>> I'm making a list of the processors and computers
>> that in one way or another tried to directly execute
>> a high-level programming language. Here's what I have
>> so far.
>>
>> Algol60 - Burroughs 5500

CISIC machine, ALGOL compiles to efficiently.

>> Pascal P-Code - Western Digital Pascal Microengine, Perq

WD runs P-code in hardware (microcode, yet another layer) but Pcode
is not Pascal.

>> Lisp - Symbolics, Lisp Machine, and many others
>> Ada - Intel 432
 Fancy CISIC machine optimized for OOP.

>Are you sure? It may well have been designed/optimised to run ada

I'm with you Tony.

None of those machine ran HLL code directly. As Tony pointed out
they were designed to run the optimized COMPILED code not the
language directly.

Lisp And Forth primitives however are suitable for direct implmentation
but, the human readable versions would still be compiled.

Allison