New here :-)

From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob_at_stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Date: Mon Mar 5 18:50:36 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Gregory" <gregorym_at_cadvision.com>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: New here :-)

> Using an appaling mishmash of measurement systems, dubious logic, and
> half-remembered facts:
>
> 1 pint ~= 500 millilitres and 1 milliLitre of water weighs 1 gram.
> So, 1 pint ~= 500 grams, and 454 grams = 1 pound, so postulate that a
pint
> of water might weigh 1 pound.

I think you will find that metric measures are co-related at their basic
unit levels.
Essentially, this means that 1 Litre of pure water weighs 1Kg and is
where the basic units came from.
I seem to recall that a metre is 1 millionth of the circumference of the
Earth at the equator, or perhaps at the meridian
of Paris. (Napoleon started this I think). Something like that anyway.

Cheers

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College