Us vs. Museums

From: jerryjh_at_imt.net <(jerryjh_at_imt.net)>
Date: Tue Mar 6 04:00:26 2001

On 2001-03-05 classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org <Tony Duell> said:

>>Museums should ideally have the at least a few of the best
>>preserved specimens of chosen categories, especially the rarer
>>categories...

>Is it more important to preserve rare machines or 'important'
>machines? ...
>I can make arguements for either, BTW.

Let's just say I'd be pleased to see nothing significant go to waste.
I'm not an authority on distinctions, just a visitor offering my
concern to preserve what's best for learning purposes.

>>both working and nonworking condition: working order for
>>preservation; nonworking for learning. Of course, any of us
>>should be allowed to...

>Have you got that the right way round?

Alright. Both working and nonworking systems have their use. That's
what I'd suggest. My apologies for not "writing straightly".

>>have private collections for learning or whatever else -- but not
>>the liberty to deliberately destroy history that could be
>>beneficial to mankind.

>Are you suggesting that scrap dealers should be turned into
>criminals ? (I don't agree with this).

No. My use of *deliberately* implies *knowingly*, which I would
say certain individuals might do to hide the value of "old
technology" in order to turn attention to some selfish, lucrative
scheme. This is not on the same level as "scrap dealers", as you
might suggest.

I would like to emphasize that I value classic computer history
more for its lessons than the methods of its material preservation.
Of course, the former depends on the latter -- but you can surely
appreciate my elevation of principle above all else.

Jerry... on his IBM PC/AT 5170 Model 339 | My laptop computer's a
***** 9600kbps/30MB HD/512k RAM/8 MHz | Tandy TRS-80 Model 100

Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered