Us vs. Museums

From: jerryjh_at_imt.net <(jerryjh_at_imt.net)>
Date: Tue Mar 6 16:08:23 2001

On 2001-03-06 classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org <Tony Duell> said:

>However, both private collectors and museums often have space
>limitations. I can't save everything I would like (although IMHO I
>certainly try). And as somebody said yesterday, %computer_museum no
>longer accepts donations of 'common' machines, for all they could
>be used as spare parts, or to allow others to learn about them, or
>whatever. I would asseme the reason they no longer accept such
>donations is lack of space.

Agreed.

>> I'm not an authority on distinctions, just a visitor offering my
>> concern to preserve what's best for learning purposes.

>OK, in your opinion, what machines are important to preserve for
>learning purposes (or for any other purpose you'd care to suggest).
>I am seriously interested....

If we could say that classic computers have a valuable *object lesson*
for future generations, I wouldn't be quick to label this or that
machine as the best example. There are several categories of machines
for various services, personal, desktop, portable, scientific, etc.,
and to elevate this or that one above the other might needlessly bait
others into unproductive discussion of personal preferences. Let's
have our personal preferences. But let's also determine (at least
for ourselves) a general principle or two that points to the value
of classic computers -- more specifically -- their purpose and our
realistic expectations of them beyond mere entertainment value.

>Of course, both groups might get a machine that is original and
>which still works. In which case both enthusiasts and musuems will
>preserve it in much the same state.

I completely agree.

Jerry... on his IBM PC/AT 5170 Model 339 | My laptop computer's a
***** 9600kbps/30MB HD/512k RAM/8 MHz | Tandy TRS-80 Model 100

Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered