Value of a small VAX farm

From: Jeffrey S. Sharp <jss_at_ou.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 7 01:16:16 2001

> > I have found a person in my area that has 7 VAXen he's going to scrap
> > if he can't move them out. Now, I'm not particularly interested in
> > VAXen, but I am currently trying to raise money to put together a
> > PDP-11 system or two. I need to know if these machines' value (in
> > terms of power to acquire the PDP-11 parts that I want, either by
> > money or direct trade) is greater than the cost of the trip to get
> > them.
>
> I could give you a better idea if you were to provide a list of the
> cards in the slots of each machine.

Machine 6000-310
Model # 63AMB-YE
    Qty Name
    1 T1034
    1 T1014-00
    1 T1012-00
    1 T1046-00
    1 T1045
    2 T1043
    1 T1035
    1 T1003
    1 T1002
    2 T2012
    2 T2014-BF
    1 T2015
    1 TK70 Tape Drive
    2 H7215 Power
    3 H7214 Power
    1 H7206A Power/Logic Box
    1 OH405-E Power
    1 H3033 DMB32 Dist.Panel
    1 KDB50

Machine 6000-410
Model # 64AMA-YE
    Qty Name
    1 T1034-YA
    2 T1043
    1 T1035
    1 T1046-00
    1 T1045-00
    2 T2012
    3 T2014-BT
    1 T2015
    1 TK70 Tape Drive
    2 H7215 Power
    3 H7214 Power
    1 H7206A Power/Logic Box
    1 OH405-E Power

Machine 6000-420
Model # 64AMA-YE
    Qty Name
    1 T1034-YA
    1 T1012-00
    2 T1043
    1 T1035
    1 T1046-00
    1 T1045-00
    2 T2012
    4 T2014-BJ
    1 T2015
    1 TK70 Tape Drive
    2 H7215 Power
    3 H7214 Power
    1 H7206A Power/Logic Box
    1 OH405-E Power
    1 H3033 DMB32 Dist.Panel

Machine 6000-420
Model # 64AMA-YE
    Qty Name
    1 T1034-YA
    1 T1012-00
    2 T1014-00
    2 T1043
    1 T1035
    1 T1046-00
    1 T1045-00
    2 T2012
    5 T2014-BT
    2 T2015
    1 TK70 Tape Drive
    2 H7215 Power
    3 H7214 Power
    1 H7206A Power/Logic Box
    1 OH405-E Power
    1 H3033 DMB32 Dist.Panel

Machine 6000-510
Model # H9657-CA
    Qty Name
    6 T2020-00
    1 MS65A-CA
    2 MS65A-DA
    1 T2080-00
    1 T2052-00
    1 H7215 Power
    1 H7214 Power
    1 H7242 Power
    1 H7206 Power/Logic Box
    1 OH405-E Power
    1 H7236 Rectifier

Machine 6000-510
Model # H9657-CA
    Qty Name
    6 T2020-00
    1 MS65A-CA
    2 MS65A-DA
    1 T2080-00
    1 T2052-00
    1 H7215 Power
    1 H7214 Power
    1 H7242 Power
    1 H7206 Power/Logic Box
    1 OH405-E Power
    1 H7236 Rectifier

Machine 7000-610
Model # 7FAMC-AA
    Qty Name
    1 T2028-AA
    1 T2027
    1 T2020
    1 Expander Module
    1 30-36009-01 Power Supply
    1 30-36010-01 Power Supply
    1 30-33798-01 AC Distribution

> Ahem, I take it you know these system units weigh in around 500lbs each
> and have factored that in to your $500?

Yup.

> > The owner claims they were used by NASA,
>
> Likely. NASA was (still is) a big Digital/Compaq shop and had herds of
> Vaxen, which gave way to Alphas.

He said they were used at a booster design facility.

--
Jeffrey S. Sharp
jss_at_ou.edu