Value of a small VAX farm

From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob_at_stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Date: Wed Mar 7 01:57:41 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <jss_at_ou.edu>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: Value of a small VAX farm

Jeffrey, I'll reply in detail when I have checked off all the adapters,
but a quick glance shows a couple of interesting things

> Machine 6000-310
> Model # 63AMB-YE
Plain vanilla 6310 but,
> 1 KDB50
  SDI standalone disk controller. Add a couple of SDI drives and you
have a standalone system. Handles
  STI tape drives as well. Up to 4 devices. FWIW, 2 x RA9x drives fit
very neatly into the bottom shelf
  of a 6k.

> Machine 6000-410
> Model # 64AMA-YE
> Qty Name
> 1 T1034-YA CPU seems to have only one, 6000-410 like the labe
says.

> Machine 6000-420
> Model # 64AMA-YE
> Qty Name
> 1 T1034-YA Ditto

> Machine 6000-420
> Model # 64AMA-YE
> Qty Name
> 1 T1034-YA Ditto, possibly some cpus removed, but it's
possible the other has a different number,
there were changes in the numbering of cpu boards for these at one stage
IIRC. Will check.

> Machine 6000-510
> Model # H9657-CA
> Qty Name
> 6 T2020-00 Ok, looks to me like it has a full house ie 6 x
cpu boards. If so this is a high end 6K. Really a 6000-560.
If so it has been upgraded at some time. I need to check the numbers,
but that looks like a cpu code off the top of my head.

> Machine 6000-510
> Model # H9657-CA
> Qty Name
> 6 T2020-00 Ditto. 6 cpus I think.

> Machine 7000-610
> Model # 7FAMC-AA
> Qty Name
> 1 T2028-AA Uh, need to check this, but I *think* thats a CPU
card. Looks to me like the ram is what's
                                 been removed from this.
> 1 T2027
> 1 T2020
> 1 Expander Module
> 1 30-36009-01 Power Supply
> 1 30-36010-01 Power Supply
> 1 30-33798-01 AC Distribution
>
> He said they were used at a booster design facility.

High powered number crunching. That fits in with the massive multicpu
stuff.
I'll post a detailed breakdown once I've checked all the numbers. I
think I will have to start a
6000/7000 site, as it seems these are appearing as surplus quite a bit
more now and I seem to be
the only one playing with them (yet) much outside of commercial useage.

Cheers

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College