new/old computers in radiology (Long)

From: Steve Robertson <steven_j_robertson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 7 12:39:14 2001

Like any other engineering project, the first logical step is to compile a
complete system requirement. Once you really understand what the project
expectations are, it's pretty easy to decide on an architecture to support
those expectations.

To arbitrarily decide what's important to the customer, will certainly lead
to failure. For instance: You state that one of the reasons that you would
recommend VMS is that there are no known viruses. If viruses are really not
a concern for the customer, that should NOT be a factor in the decision
making process. After all, they may already have a very secure LAN and
experienced administrators. To make architectural decisions based on areas
that you perceive as important is a path to disaster. Don't assume that you
know what the customer wants and just as importantly, don't assume that the
customer knows what they want!

On the other hand, if "usability" is one of the primary factors, they may be
stuck with NT. As much as we may detest the OS for it's poor reliability,
far more people are comfortable with the WIN interface than any other OS. In
some environments, it may actually be more acceptible to reboot the system
every day or have unexpected failures than to retrain the people that will
use the system. Actually, NT used only for data presentation is not all that
bad. Once again, that's a business decision that should be addressed in the
requirements.

My guess: NT for the presentation layer, LINUX or a derivitive with strong
device support in the backend.

Just my $.02

Steve Robertson