And someone has one... Re: Virus Alert !!!

From: Rich Lafferty <rich_at_alcor.concordia.ca>
Date: Thu Mar 8 14:46:15 2001

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 03:06:05PM -0500, Steve Robertson (steven_j_robertson_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
> > > ever heard of any Linux billionaires?
> >
> >Yes, but that was last year when RHAT had a $20B market cap. Now they're
> >just millionaires like you and me.
>
> Oh... The Robin hoods of the software world and friends to software
> engineers everywhere. Wonder how much their developers get paid... Oh that's
> right, they don't get paid anything.

That's funny; the Red Hat developers that I know get paid enough that
I'd be quite happy to land a job there.

To take another example, O'Reilly and Associates has Larry Wall on
their payroll, and his sole responsibility with them (beyond things
PR) is to guide development efforts on Perl. On that arrangement, he
says:

    "Essentially, my position is what you call a patronage. It's a
     very old-fashioned idea which goes back to the time when there
     was an aristocracy and they would support artists and musicians.
     They would have a patron. Tim O'Reilly is my patron. He pays me
     to create things, to kind of be in charge of the Perl culture."

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services