P.O.S.T. issue (was: Looking for Someone with IBM PC (fwd)

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Thu Mar 15 14:03:30 2001

At 11:19 AM 3/15/01 -0800, Fred wrote:
>Sorry, slipped up on my question. should read:
>Just one remaining issue: does anyone know why the P.O.S.T. takes longer
>WITH 16K (14 seconds) than it does with 64K (9 seconds)??
>
>Why would MORE memory take LESS time?

A theory, unfounded in any technical fact: could the RAM probe
be performing some kind of time-out or retry when it doesn't
encounter RAM? In other words, when it finds RAM, it speeds
along. When it doesn't, perhaps some other memory bus fault
or characteristic of the POST code makes it take longer.

Doesn't the tech ref guide's BIOS listing include the POST routine?

- John