VAXstation 5000

From: William W WEBB <william.webb_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun Mar 18 19:49:08 2001

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:02:26 -0500
From: "Claude.W" <claudew_at_videotron.ca>
Subject: Flea Market finds...: VAX 5000/200 point me to a faq please...

Vax Station 5000/200 with 32Megs (?) $5
Can someone tell me more about the VAX? I know nothing about these
things.
Either point me to a good faq or a manual or just tell me how to check
this
thing out...I searched the net and after 20 minutes found close to
nothing
about this thing...the compaq site is a maze....

Unit powers on PS fans (3!) spin. Small leds in back (6?) near ports seem
cycle through in a "logical and non erratic way" at start up...
There are 4 large memory boards. Counting the chips I suspect these
boards
hold 8 Megs each...4 boards...32Megs...built in ethernet from what I can
see...
Slot -0- in back does not have a cover anymore. There is nothing
there...I
suspect this held a video card (?) can I still hook this up headless to a
terminal?
I connected my trusty Wyse60 to this and after a short "POST" I get...:

?IO 5/rzl/vmunix (bb rd)

Returns bring more >> prompts so I am talking to the box...So I guess it
works...
The thing has no floppy or keyboard connector...Just a SCSI port....how
does
it boot? -- from scsi cdrom? (linux something to try on this I
suspect...?)
Sorry about the questions but I know nothing about these VAX boxes...

Thanks for the help
Claude
claudew_at_videotron.ca

Claude,

this is from memory so I'll put percentages of reliability next to each
statement-

1- These machines were designed to run Ultrix (A flavor of UNIX sold by
DEC) and
     will not run VMS (100%)

2- I think they're MIPS-based machines (80%)

3- There might be a BSD for them (30%)

If you really need come up short I've got Digital Systems & Options
catalogs back to
1993 and can get you some information about options but not detailed
config/setup stuff.

WWWebb

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.