Northstar Advantage 8/16 problems

From: Sellam Ismail <foo_at_siconic.com>
Date: Tue Mar 20 18:03:50 2001

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Tony Duell wrote:

> > it hard to believe, though not impossible, that EVERY key died at the same
> > time. Perhaps all on a row or all on a column, but not ALL keys.
>
> FWIW, on matrix keyboards, if a complete row or column goes out, then I
> suspect a logic failure before I start checking switches. Switch problems
> are normally just indivdual dead keys with no pattern to their positions.
> And if the entire keyboard is dead, I certainly don't think it's all the
> switches that have failed.

But how can Rich know for certain if any keys are bad if he can't boot the
system to begin with? From what he's said, he doesn't really know what
keys work or don't work, just that ENTER and CTRL-C don't.

> Are you _sure_ the keyboard is just contacts?

If I were Rich (and hadn't done this yet) I'd disassemble the keyboard and
see what's going on under the switches.

Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival