Mac SE/30

From: jpero_at_sympatico.ca <(jpero_at_sympatico.ca)>
Date: Tue Mar 20 18:15:23 2001

> The picture has changed rather suddenly! Today I stopped at my favorite
> thrift shop and picked up an external SCSI drive and case for under $10.
> Imagine my pleasure when it turned out to contain a Quantum Trailblazer
> - the 800k one - loaded with MacOS 7.5.3 and numerous applications. I
> also stuffed some more memory into the SE/30 so it seems a bit more
> comfortable :)

Woah! Good deal!

Playing with different HDs in 32MB C610.

160 sleepy because of it and OS 8 on it (!!) but dangerously
becoming full.
230 ok but comfortable due to 4500rpm and 256K buffer.
530MB IBM somewhat better and silent but too small buffer (64K)
3.2GB better but very buzzy vibration due to poorly balanced, Quantum
is notorious for that.
2.1GB 7200rpm hd, made that mac more snappy
than what it really is and I love it. Minus side: whine noise. :-(

I see a trend: bigger buffer memory and faster rpm makes the
difference on Mac. Choice of OS is important especially on ram size
and secondly to cpu performance. For that SE/30, try
7.0.1 or 7.1 on it. 7.0.1 is free, 7.1 is bit harder to find but
it's out there. Took me some work to ferret that out.

Based on my experience,

For SE (FDHD) and all Mac series (68000) use 6.0.8 w/ full 4MB which
is Mac Plus and Mac classic, as well as old LC. Keep pcexhange
installed on all Macs w/ 1.44MB drive always, this makes moving data
so easy. Pc exhange is free downloadable, just find it but many OSes
has it by default.

Cheers,

Wizard