SUN networking problems

From: Arno Kletzander <Arno_1983_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed Mar 21 00:39:14 2001

Hi all,
we're running a *small* network consisting of two Sun SPARCstations (1+ and
2) and a CalComp CCS600 ES laser printer. They're all connected to
"Transceivers" with 15-pin Sub-D connectors on them which sit along a yellow cable
(approx. 10mm = 4/10" in diameter). AFAIK this concept is called "Thick Ethernet"
(IEEE 802.3), am I right?
Now in an effort to connect our modern PC to this network as well, we've put
another transceiver on the cable strictly according to the installation
guide that came with it (drilling hole into cable with recommended tool etc...).
Since we've done that, it's no longer possible to print from one of the SUNs
to the CalComp although the PC is not yet connected to the transceiver. We
couldn't test whether each SUN can see the other one as one of them is
currently "down" (yes, the NVRAM's bad again...)
The whole assembly looks somewhat like this:

       I-------I TC1 I------I TC2 I------I TC3 I------I TC4 I------I
                  I I I I
               SUN 1+ SUN 2 CalComp (planned) PC

TC1, 2 and 4 are from Intergraph, TC3 is a InterLan NV1000.
Many thanks in advance for any help with that problem.

Arno Kletzander

http://www.gmx.de