10Base5/Thicknet (was Re: SUN networking problems)

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 02:44:44 2001

On Mar 21, 22:31, Mike Ford wrote:
> >Is there currently a source for the tap part for the older, boxy
transceivers
> >that have removable media bits? I remember reading in the O'Reilly
Ethernet
> >book that it was common to remove the transceiver from the tap and leave
the

> Most likely I have it, no matter what that "it" is regarding older
network
> stuff. Email me directly with, hopefully, an idea of what exactly you
need
> and I will look in my boxes.
>
> What I think they are talking about with the tap etc. is that you have
the
> thick coax, then you have a thing that taps into the coax, and that
"thing"
> typically has a AUI 15 pin connection with a cable to the AUI on your
> computer. Disconnecting the cable is what I think they mean.

Not quite. The part with the 15-pin AUI connector is the trasnceiver. The
tap is the part of the transceiver that fits to the coax. In some cases,
the tap has sockets, and you fit it by cutting the coax, fitting plugs to
both cut ends, and plugging them in to the tap. Thats' not very convenient
when you want to connect to a network that's in use (the entire segment
will be ou of action while you do it and there's a risk of damage to other
transceivers as well), so tha alternative is a "vampire" tap. That's a
gadget that you fit by drilling a hole in the outer insulation and braid
(screen) of the coax, then applying the tap. It has a pn that penetrates
to the core conductor, and a part that makes contact only with the braid.
 Then you fit the rest of the transceiver onto the vampire tap, and fit a
drop cable between the AUI connector on the transceiver and the AUI on your
machine.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager