Update: AAUI TP dongle and Basilisk II Mac emulator

From: jpero_at_sympatico.ca <(jpero_at_sympatico.ca)>
Date: Thu Mar 22 16:46:23 2001

Bill and everybody else,

I'm pleased with that dongle thing, I used it to transfer the stuff
first with a HVF explorer to place the files in HFS image disk w/
raw data fork selected. Then moved stuff between pc emulating a Mac
(basilisk II, freeware) to real Mac. Far easier than all those disks
sneakernet and I didn't have correct scsi cable for my PCI controller
(HD connector to centronics needed). Nearly 60 MB moved at snail's
pace due to emulation but does work as it should be which is fine
with me. :-)

All this stuff is freeware or demoware, just the same it earned their
worth for me.

Treashing around story:

Took me hours searching because the pc-mac sharing or conversion
utilities via network (examples: DAVE, MacPclan are over $120 US or
more which will break my limited canadian budget and very leery
about asking so much of my personal details before obtaining demo
programs. When I saw a webpage suggesting Basilisk II, I pounced on
it like a cat. Then more hours on basilisk II/sharing figuring out
and RTFM'ing lot of stuff to get everything to work but I succeeded!

Tip: Somewhere in that netscape/IE on peecee is screwing the pooch
on hqx, before clicking that ok button to download, change .hqx for
.txt. When d/l done, rename it back. That works. I still don't
figure out why HVF explorer doesn't work on mac formatted disks but
basilisk II will read/write these 1.44 disks, remember peecees can't
deal with 400K/800K due to FD controller issues. That is what real
Mac I moving stuff to is for.

Amazing how small that Basilisk II is and fairly stable, nothing left
out to make mac emulation to work and 100% lookalike. Funny, that
ran like scalded rabbit on duron 800. It stutters sometimes because
both HFS images were on old 540MB hd, other than that, it crackles.

Bill, Thanks for that dongle!!

Wizard with big smile.

FYI: Basilisk II is ported to linux, Amiga, win9x/NT/2000 and one
other I forgot. Only supports 512K or 1MB Mac roms, everything you
need are bundled in one download except for HVF explorer. Download
that 11MB PDF basilisk II manual is a must as it has new info in it,
far more info than what I have seen on webpages. This file does
contains vital info that is required to get started and installing
OS, plus at least one extension has to be OFF.