HP 9845s?

From: Kevin Schoedel <schoedel_at_kw.igs.net>
Date: Mon Mar 26 19:43:41 2001

On 2001/03/26 at 10:59am -0800, RebelTerry wrote:
>I'm new to the group. Does anyone have any information on the old HP
>9845 desktop computers, specifically, if any working units still exist?

I have one that works, except that I haven't looked at the tape drives
and the rollers have most likely melted. I'm pretty sure at least one
other list regular has one.

At 8:37pm +0100 2001/03/26, Tony Duell wrote:
>How strange is the HP disk format? I know that the HP disk drive could at
>least read IBM3740 disks. Were the HP disks also FM recorded?
>
>I have one of the disk drives (9885 IIRC), but no real information on it.
>And I remember there being an HP custom 40 pin chip on one of the boards
>that looked to be a CPU type thing.

I have the 9885 service manual, which I'm pretty sure has schematics...
I'll try to get it out and check this weekend.

At 6:09am +1000 2001/03/27, Phil Guerney wrote:
>I was told by the HP experts on this list when I first asked (a year or two
>ago) that there is no way known to hook up an external monitor in place of
>the original that plugged into those two special ports on the top of the
>9845. But you would think that this monitor was basically a standard TTL or
>analogue monitior of some sort and that someone might have the technical
>details to wire a replacement from the plugs?

I have the service manual for the 9845B too (is yours a B or C?), but
it definitely does not have schematics; it's at the
subassembly-swapping level. It might have the specifications and
pinouts, though; again, I'll try to look it up this weekend. (Someone
remind me privately in a week if I haven't.)

--
Kevin Schoedel
schoedel_at_kw.igs.net