AAUI

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Tue Mar 27 12:39:04 2001

On Mar 27, 7:23, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> I have a little Allied Telesyn transceiver I'm using on the Solbourne.
> Nice gadget, fits in the palm of my thin piano-playing mitts. There's a
DIP
> on the side for SQE-Enable and four status lights. Works very well.

I have several AT 10bse2 and 10baseT transceivers like that, and a few
Eagle ones and a D-link one too. Also a little DEC one that's about twice
that size (lengthways). Lots of companies made very small
"microtransceivers", some of them with several LEDs (my Eagle 10baseT ones
have 6).

They're quite handy for checking links through patch panels and structured
wiring - wire a PP3 (MN1604/6LR6 9V) battery to pins 6 (-ve) and 13 (=ve)
and you can test for a link light and even see when there's traffic. The
poor man's Cat5 cable tester.

> That reminds me, since I'm an AUI novice. I picked up a DB15 straight
> through cable at Fry's (it was sold as a joystick extension but it works
> fine on the Apple monitors too). I also have an Allied Telesyn hub that
> accepts eight 10BT connectors, Thinnet, and one AUI. If I plug the
Solbourne
> right into the AUI port on the hub, will I need the transceiver anymore?

That won't work, I expect. The Solbourne connector is supposed to plug
into a transceiver, and so probably is the one on the hub. I bet they're
both sockets? If so, I suggest you don't try it, as those connectors
provide power to the transceiver, apart from needing a crossover (and the
collision detect would go haywire too).

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager