ide harddrive

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 28 19:50:12 2001

EPP provides a bidirectional data port, a data strobe, an address strobe, and a
write strobe. It responds to a nWAIT/RDY signal, an interrupt, and three user
input (to the PC) signals that you are at liberty to use however you like. The
strobes are generated in hardware and rquire no software beyond the write to the
appropriate address.

The address strobe steers data to hardware that responds to address strobe, and
the data strobe does likewise with what you define to be data, so you certainly
have sufficient resources to effect an ide interface quite straightforwardly.
Moreover, if you write a word to the data port, it steers the data in successive
writes automatically with no software overhead.

Performance, however, is another issue.

Dick