VaxServer 3100 and VT340 terminal

From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis_at_mcmanis.com>
Date: Thu Mar 29 23:28:01 2001

At 08:14 PM 3/29/01 -0500, Chad wrote:
>Your doing better than I am! I found a cable with the mmj connectors,
>but am still not able to get anything on my vt320! I have a MicroVax
>3400, and the "progress" code eventually goes to 1 (one). Any ideas?

Can you be a bit more specific? Presumably your VT320 lights up the "VT320
OK" message after powering on and you can get into and out of SETUP using
the F3 key on the keyboard right?

If so make sure you communication settings are 9600 baud, 8 data bits, and
one stop bit.
*IMPORTANT* you need to go to the directory and select 'SAVE' and press the
keypad enter key (the term will say "done") in order to keep the setting
across power cycles.

If you're VT320 has the RS232 option (this is indicated by a DB25 connector
on the back) then make sure that it is set to DEC-423 as its communication
port.

Next be sure you're plugging into the port with the back to back arrows
over it, not the printer port.

Next go into setup and turn on local echo, then back out of setup and type
on the keyboard and verify that the results show up on screen.

Now hook up to the console port on the 3400, and set the panel to 'halt on
break' mode (see my web page
:<http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/computers/vaxen/panels.htm> for a picture of
your front panel, there is a legend near the bottom of the page)

Do you see the power on message? You should get a count down on the
terminal and it should stop with the >>> prompt.

If you don't see anything, then turn off the 3400 and remove the console
panel (two captive screws do it) and look at the dial switch inside to
verify that _it_ is set for 9600 baud and that the plug to the CPU card is
correctly seated.

At this point you will have something on the VT320 or you'll know what part
of your system is broken :-)

--Chuck