Amiga questions

From: Jeff Hellige <jhellige_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Mar 30 07:34:57 2001

>a few A1200 Amiga questions (do they hit the 10 year limit? I know I got my
>A500 in the early 90's, and I think A3000's were around then, right??)...

    If I remember the dates correctly, the A500 was introduced in '87 as a
companion to the A2000 and the A3000 arrived on the scene in either '90 or
'91 with the A1200 in '93.

>Do all 1200's come with built in IDE hard drive controllers - or did
>commodore do things on the cheap and only add controllers for machines
>shipped with drives (I'm assuming the controller lives on the main board
>itself)?

    Yes, the A1200 has built-in IDE

>Will the 1200 accept any size (capacity) drive?

    I've used drives up to 4+ gig on both SCSI and IDE equipped Amiga's
without a problem.

>What are the options of networking a '1200 (ideally TCP/IP stack on the
>Amiga, using SLIP or something to a Unix box maybe? Are there things around
>that allow this, with NFS mounting of drives for data copying?)

    Both Miami and Termite are good TCP/IP stacks that work with either
ethernet or dialup connections. I'm not sure about the mounting of a NFS
drive, but given how extensible the Amiga file system is, I'd hazard a guess
that it is likely possible.

>Can PC SVGA multisync monitors be used with the 1200, or won't the monitor
>sync to a low enough frequency for the Amiga (seem to remember that was the
>problem with the 500, not sure if the 1200 has any sort of 'fix' for this on
>the Amiga side though)

    IF the monitor syncs down to ~15 khz it will work fine with the A1200
without any kind of scan doubler. Even the A4000 didn't fix this
compatibility with SVGA multisync monitors....for some reason only the A3000
did.

    Jeff