OT: World Trade crash...

From: Chris Kennedy <chris_at_mainecoon.com>
Date: Tue Sep 11 12:46:49 2001

Chad Fernandez wrote:

> What do they have water tanks on top for?

In order to feed water to the top of a tall building on demand would
require huge-to-massive pumps. Instead smaller, continuous flow
pumps move a small amount of water upwards to large tanks that then
gravity feed downwards. In particularly tall buildings intermediate
tanks and pumps are used, such that the load on a given set of
pumps (and the pressure that the plumbing must accommodate) are

Chris Kennedy
PGP fingerprint: 4E99 10B6 7253 B048 6685  6CBC 55E1 20A3 108D AB97
Received on Tue Sep 11 2001 - 12:46:49 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:34:24 BST