suggestions on BBC Micro, voltage converter, PAL monitor (in US)?

From: Gary Hildebrand <>
Date: Mon Apr 22 09:27:00 2002

You could buy a 110-220 step-up transformer, and that usually has the
european two prong plug built in. I myself would see if the power
supply has a split primary for the mains power; then rewire/flip the
switch for 110 operation and just use a US style power cord.

Monitor: If it is an RGB with seperate outputs, the NTSC/PAL question
is moot. I know that US RGB monitors for the Amiga will sync to PAL
rates (625 lines, 50Hz) with no problems. The conflict arises only when
the video is composite, as the color information is encoded
differently. I have seen small converters for sale, that change PAL
video to NTSC and vice versa. I've never seen how good/bad they work,
but that is a viable alternative, if your only output is composite

Gary Hildebrand
St. Joseph, MO

Derek Peschel wrote:
> It has been my mission for some time to bring a BBC Micro back from
> England. I would need some way to adapt British plugs to US sockets
> and convert the voltage, and I would also need a PAL monitor. (No, I
> don't want black-and-white NTSC. Yes, I could bring a montior back from
> England along with the computer. I'm not sure if I want to do that.)
> Does anyone have experience with these things? I am hoping to save
> money ($500 would be above the top of my price range) but I don't want
> to fry anything either.
> Oh yes, and if anyone has an extra Beeb hanging around that would be
> nice too.
> -- Derek
Received on Mon Apr 22 2002 - 09:27:00 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:34:32 BST